Skip to main content
Exercise - compose a web map with newly published web layers¶
- Create a group called ‘hands_on’. If you are sharing an Enterprise / AGO then prefix the group with your initials so there is no conflict.
- Use the datasets downloaded in the
/datasets/ directory (or any data that you wish) to publish at least 3 layers to your Enterprise.
- Compose a web map by adding these layers as operational layers.
- Use ‘dark gray canvas’ for basemap.
- Share the web map and all the web layers to group
- Display the web map in map widget
- Open the web map from some other client - portal map app, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, smart phone apps
- Use the
web_map_simple.json file as a template for web map json. Read this json into a Python dictionary and modify it in-memory
- Refer to the sample https://developers.arcgis.com/python/sample-notebooks/publishing-web-maps-and-web-scenes/ for some ideas
- Refer to the Web Map spec if you want to customize the web map beyond the simple JSON found in the helper file.
- As an alternate, publish the web map using a different client or authoring environment and access it using the API. Inspect that web map json to get some ideas